This Page

has been moved to new address

Twine Christmas Cone Trees

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
DIY, Crafts & Other Projects: Twine Christmas Cone Trees

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Twine Christmas Cone Trees

Picnik collage_thumb.jpg

For the complete post, scroll to the bottom & click through to the site.

2009_11_16_4210_thumb.jpg
So I got some of this stuff to use instead, (I know, I know), and it works MUCH better.
2009_11_20_4312_thumb.jpg
I wrapped the cones in parchment paper and secured it with pins, and then wrapped the soaked twine around the cone in a crisscrossing pattern, wringing it out a little at a time as I went. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you want to make sure that your cone is structurally sound, you'll need to do lots of crisscrossing. This ensures that each piece of twine has another piece to help support it.
2009_11_16_4217_thumb.jpg
You'll also want to make sure that your bottom strands are straight all the way around the base, or your Christmas trees may end up with a little gangsta' lean going on.
2009_12_03_4572_thumb[1].jpg
Once I was finished with the twine, I put green raffia in the stiffener and wrapped it around the cones as well, just for a little color and a different texture.
2009_11_17_4222_thumb.jpg
Once all was dry (I usually left it overnight), I used a knife to separate the parchment paper from the cone, peeled the paper away from the twine and here is the end result!
2009_11_30_4530_thumb[1].jpg
The best part about making trees this way is that you can make several trees using only one foam cone as the mold. I wanted to try out a few different things, so this let me experiment on the trees without “using up” one of the foam cones, since they are kind of expensive. I have a plain pair, and this pair that has just a few tiny berries hot glued on in various spots.
2009_11_30_4533_thumb[1].jpg
Another set I spray painted white, sprayed with glitter, and then hot glued on these larger berries.
2009_11_30_4546_thumb[1].jpg
This one I actually used the little cone for (I had two, so I was willing to lose one of them). I spray painted the cone and the twine separately, hot glued the twine onto the cone, and capped it with (of course) little berries.
2009_11_30_4543_thumb[1].jpg
I even made one for some Valentines Day decor.
2010_01_29_6167_thumb1.jpg
What do you think? Not to shabby, right? I love these. I made tons of them all December long and then gave almost all of them away as gifts. Which means I get to try out some new options this year. :)
If you love these but don't feel like the hassle, I also have short and tall versions available in my etsy shop here.
il_570xN.141068828.jpg

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At November 30, 2011 at 5:51 AM , Blogger Maury @ Life on Mars said...

Those are very cool! Love that they are kind of rustic.

 
At November 30, 2011 at 6:17 PM , Blogger Sherry said...

These are all nice, especially the one with the berries. Thanks for sharing how to do them.

 
At December 2, 2011 at 1:40 PM , Blogger antArtiste said...

Love it... I am only a week blogger and i like your blogg very very much,,, inspiring... Hope to travel to your 'home' often... thank u
antArtiste..

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home